Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day 3

Day 3. Today was a great introduction of what goes on here. I met the barn managers, one other groom, the rest are all in Florida at the moment and the horses of Millar Brooke Farm. The sun was shining even though it was quite cold it was a beautiful day. Cleaned stalls, swept the barn, blanketed and booted up horses that were going outside for an hour each. I wish I took that good of care of my horses…..they certainly don’t get brushed, then 2 new blankets on and eskadron boots just to go outside, however if I only put mine out for an hour they’d probably try to eat me when I went to put them back inside. Life here certainly isn’t hard for the horses.
Then we brushed and tacked up horses to be ridden and lunged, brought horses back in from outside….repeated that a few times. Swept the barn basically anytime a horse walked down the isle or hay dropped from feeding. It’s neat to learn everyone’s “way” of doing things. We stopped and had some lunch and then after lunch I was told to go clip a horse. Now I just started clipping my own horses not big fancy grand prix horses. But this one was one of the barn managers so off I went on my own accord. He was a good boy and looked a million times better after he was done….apparently he just got to the barn. I have never full body clipped a horse from head to hoof so they came to help me with his legs as he wasn’t happy about them or his entire face.
Note to self….bring more clothing next time….don’t know how though as my suitcase was 48 point something pounds and its only allowed to be 50. But I have no sweatshirt left as its covered in hair and anyone who’s clipped knows how itchy it now is! Also down one pair of jeans as they are filty because I don’t have tall winter boots to wear like everyone else….again just too hard to pack. Oh and laundry costs money…..wasn’t aware of that and don’t have any change! Hmmmm. There is no internet in my room so if this gets posted I managed to get a connection somewhere else. This is getting long so will leave it for tonight. At least I’ve befriended one of the barn cats who is now sitting next to me like a happy camper. Goodnight.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like you've hit the ground running! You go girl!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what do you think? Or is everything still a little overwelming? What is the facility like? Is it a heated indoor? It's still cold here, although, I'm happy to say, you took the snow with you........Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx Ann!
    Jacque......yes the barn is heated and the arena is attached and open to the barn so I'm assuming so. I certainly havent been cold until we turn horses out.
    It's not really overwhelming as I've been in this kind of a barn before so that helps. Its hard to get used to everyone's own way of doing things but this is why I'm out here doing this...to learn all the ways I can and then choose the best that works for me. The facility is beatufiul and I havent even seen 1/4 of the property yet....it's HUGE. I took a few pictures of the outside of the barn I'll try to post tonight.

    ReplyDelete