Friday, March 13, 2009

Owwww my feet

Well today was one of the most phsically tiring days but also one that was very rewarding :)
We started early...had to leave the house by 5:45 am.....it's very hard to go to work when the MOON is still shining in all it's sleepy time glory. YAWN
Jonathan was riding G Force at 8 am so after stalls were done he had to be one of the first on the walker because he was also showing today. Got that done, brought him in and led him back to his stall to have a pee before getting him ready, thats another rule....they always have to go right back in their stall when they've been on the walker, outside, or being ridden so you untack in the stall.
Then I got him beautified and out of the barn and was told he should be showing around 10ish. Got all my stalls and waters done. Took out the tack for the day. Put horses boots on to go on the walker and outside, switched horses. Nikki headed off to the Bahamas today so we were one less person so the morning wasn't going as fast.
10 am rolled around fairly quickly so I cleaned G Force up after his ride so he'd be ready for the show ring. I was so excited to be going to the ring today :) I had to have him clean but wait for the go ahead to get him ready once his rider was on the way. In the mean time one of my other riders was scheduled to show up at 11 am to ride and the other rider came in and said she'd ride Aubie right after her horse. OH MAN....three horses to do all at once....I was a little bit stressed. I had G Force clean and waiting for the GO. So I groomed the other two up and waited a few minutes to put tack on since it was a little early and I didn't want them standing in the cross ties for a long time waiting. 10:45 rolled around so I tacked up both Aubie and Mercy, one in the grooming stall and one in the ties in the alleyway (which is a pain because you have to unsnap and move them everytime a horse needs by which is very often in a busy barn)
I had Mercy ready to go, my rider showed up, led her outside and off they went. Whew! One down.....I headed in to finish tacking up Aubie. Was just about to put his bridle on when I got the call for G Force to be tacked up. YIKES. I asked Nicolas and luckily he had a minute to help and get Aubie out to the ring. I ran and got G out, gave him a quick wipe down, boots went on, hoof oil, fly spray, breast plate, saddle pad, half pad, ears, bridle and I was awaiting for her saddle to arrive. Thanks to Nicolas I was able to get all 3 ready and out of the barn on time. I was a red sweaty mess by this point as today was one of the hottest days since I'd been here.
Since I knew I was heading to the show grounds I asked the other grooms if they'd be able to untack my other two horses when they got back.
The rider got on, took him over a few jumps and on that note we headed to the ring. It's a bit of a walk there so we get our many many miles in each day. Her round was fabulous and G jumped beautifully. She's looking at him to buy and she seemed pleased with him :) Good Boy.
I put on his sheet, loosened his girth and nosebands as his go so insanely tight and he has not only a regular noseband but a figure 8 over top. My tendons in my arms hurt from doing up nosebands and flashes around here, thats how tight they go.....
I gave him a carrot and headed back to the barn. As soon as I got back there was an issue with his shoe so I had to clean him up for the third time and head right back to other show grounds to the farrier to get it fixed....more walking....I wish I had a step counter today as I covered alot of ground!
Got his shoe fixed, G was happy to be out and about today while I was getting more red and more sweaty and discusting....at least the horses don`t care.
Got back to the barn just as Mercy came back from her ride, hadn`t even finished putting G away before I had to run and lead her into her stall and get her untacked. So as I had mountains of dirty tack piling up I also had horses to "put away" They need to be wiped down with a wet towel to erase any sweat marks ect. So I groomed my 3 horses so they were back to being beautiful. I had to wash G's legs and put some goop on him, then wrap him and pack his feet. Then I got Mercy out and treated and wrapped her legs and took her out for some grass. She doesn't go in turnout so has to be led for grass daily.
Finally had my horses clean, wrapped, and put away so it was time for the tack. Thankfully some of the other grooms had helped while their day wasn't as busy or they had finished their craziness in the morning.
We thought we'd be done by 4 today but we still didn't get out of the barn until 5....*sigh* Oh but the best part of my day. Ian Millar actually told me today I was doing a GREAT job!!!!! That means ALOT coming from him as we usually just get lectures, talked to sternly or downright yelled at....so I felt pleased with myself. Also Lori told me my bandages were "fabulous" that meant alot too after the first time I did them and she made a noise and said....hmmm we need to teach you how to bandage. HAHA I know how to they just do it differently. As soon as they showed me how they want it I think I do a damn fine job. So gold star number two for me today.
So downright exhausted after work we came home and then decided we were all going to head out for dinner to IHOP. MMMM I love Ihop. Trying to get back to eating better I went with a chicken salad and it was good, while the other were eating stacks of butterscotch pancakes and Nutella crepes....there's looked and smelled so good. Then we went grocery shopping as it's all in the same complex. I bought only healthy things to get back on track....I'll update you in a few days how I'm doing with that hahahaha wish me luck! TTFN

4 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Working your tail off is going to pay off for you big time :) sounds fantastic, keep updating! And more pictures! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Shawna, sounds like they are all watching you....So, it shows that your serious and committed to what your doing...I can see your duties moving forward when you return to Perth.....It's also nice to receive compliments and encouragement from an Empoyer. Especially, ones that appreciate the efforts that your putting forth....

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeeeeeeeah Shawna! Gold stars all around - I'm giving you one too... I would have caved for the Nutella crepes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shawna --wow sounds like you are working your tail off but in a good way. Im not surprised that you've been complimented on the great job you're doing. As hard and tiring as it is, we all know you have the drive to continue and succeed! I just love reading your blog, take care and relax as much as you can during your off time.

    ReplyDelete