Sunday, March 29, 2009

Today was a GREAT day :)

It has been hot lately and it's only supposed to get hotter! Walked out the door of our nicely air conditioned house this morning to an already hot 6:30 am....yuck. I HATE being sticky from the first moment of the day to the last....it's gross. I love the sun and warm weather however that statement comes from lazying on the beach and soaking up the rays in between dunks in the pool or lake/ocean. Having to WORK and I mean actually work your butt off in mid to high 80 degree weather is NOT cool. After we were done sweating away to get the barn fed and cleaned, the riders started to appear. Lori and Amy were in the office when they came out and asked for me. I thought uh oh what did I do? That feeling lingered around a little longer as while I was standing there waiting to hear the news one of the other barn guys was going on and on about his story. Finally Amy said we are going to have a meeting....so he appologised and left haha.
Turns out Beth called the Millars to talk more about me and what I was wanting to do. I am SO glad I have been upfront all along about who I have talked to and what my intentions were otherwise that could have not gone over so well.
(Now that I think about it I still don't know what it was exactly that they talked about however I got the feeling it was all posotive about me)
Still standing there thinking I was in trouble I was nervous as to where this was going. Finally they said they really don't want to lose me and was wondering why I wanted to continue talking to Beth about a job position. I explained that as much as I enjoy it there I really want to ride and train, learn all I can as a rider to further my skills and not just be a groom like I was 6 years ago. I also mentioned that Beth's salary started alot higher and the money appeals to me because I still have a farm to run at home and bills to pay.
Well guess what......they offered me to train the young horses for Millarbrooke :) !!!! They said "PERFECT we would love it if you'd work with the young ones" I assume I'll be working with Mandy and Christian once I get home riding and working with the young horses and some of the schooled ones if they need me to ride them. Lori also said I'll be getting lessons as they want to make sure I'm going along with their program and the horses are progressing as they should. How cool is that!!!! EEEEKKKKK I am grinning ear to ear but all day I have kept quiet as I feel it's the professional thing to do....I don't want to rub it in any one elses faces as they all want to ride too.
I have no idea if I'll still get to go to shows as a groom or if I'm just going to be a "rider" for the Millars. I can't wait to talk to them further and find out exactly what I'll be doing. And even better yet, I can't wait to get home in 2 weeks and get started on my new "position"
So what do you think about that....talk about everything happens for a reason. I have been activly searching out different options as to what to do and where to go as my next move. But I am happy as heck here and if they are willing to up my pay and let me do exactly what I want AND teach me....what more could I honestly ask for.
Oh the other scary thing that happened to me....I was getting a horse ready in the middle of the isle when Ian walked by and stopped....(thats NEVER a good sign haha) He looked at me and said "I hear you've been talking to Beth Underhill about a job" (nervous feeling came over me again...I'm really not good when put in the direct line of fire lol.... I said "yes I spoke to beth before I came to Millarbrooke and then met up with her here in Florida and agreed to speak with her further about the position at the end of March." He said "ok but recently...you've been talking to her about the job..." I said "Yes I have however I just had a meeting with Lori and Amy about it" He said" AANNNNDDD what are you going to do" Talk about having no time to think about it or even consider my options (luckily I was really happy about it and knew the answer as to what I'm going to do already. I said confidently...."I'm going to stay :) " He said "Well good, appreciate that" and started to walk out of the barn. I said as he was leaving "thank you very much for the opportunity to be here Ian"
I felt good about how that went.....
Ahhhh now I'm home and get to tell my mom who won't answer her phone....or my sister....or my barn manager...so I just HAD to write it here for you to see. But Shhhh I don't want to wreck a good thing before it's started so I'm just going to stay quiet about it until I get back to the farm and everyone just sees how it goes down.
I AM SOOOOO EXCITED.....here's the the bigger and better!!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats Shawna that's awesome! It'll be nice to have someone else on the island with such great training experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. talk about things paying off.......see you work your butt off, they appreciate and acknowledge it! That was really great that you stated exactly what you wanted to do and and they totally respected that and offered it!! Way to go Shawna, this is amazing news! *happy dance*

    Cant wait to hear all about it, its nice to get the inside scoop!

    I feel like a fly on the wall at Millar Brooke! HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aaaaaaaaack!!! That is soooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) You know how I feel.....but whose going to start Morag....:)

    ReplyDelete