Monday, May 11, 2009

Who needs sleep?

Started at 6:30 am this morning so we could feed horses early and get the first load on the 4 horse by 7:30 am. Got the horses groomed, walked and wrapped to go in the 4 horse. After they pulled out we did the same for the big semi trailer. Loaded 10 horses and away they went. All the clients, Amy and Jonathan left for the show today. Ian stayed behind to ride his 4 horses who are leaving tomorrow.
We are starting at 5:30 tomorrow (ICK) as they are hauling out of here by 7 with the second load.
Today was my first real day in charge of the farm but Ian and one of the other grooms, Sandra, was here so it didn't quite feel like it yet.
We ended up working until about 6:30 tonight by the time we got everything done, packed and ready for the next load tomorrow.
I only have one more crazy morning to get through and then I get to go back to 7am until 4 pm days.....YAY WITH a lunch break even. So stoked for that!
I'm learning quickly the responsibility I am holding now and I will continue to grow into my position, as Amy says it.
I am going to be involved with hiring (and firing) new staff....I won't go into detail on that one however I am going to learn to have a back bone right quick. For all those people I've ever allowed to intimidate or control me.....this is payback. I am now learning to be a real boss. To take no shhhhhh from anyone. I needed this!
Anyone want to come be a show groom? It's not easy and I will scare you before you even get here with the details. However in order to find someone who will really fit the drill that needs to be done as this is not an easy job to do and it's not meant for everyone.
I have my lists galore of routines for Piccobello and In style over the next two weeks. I am nervous but excited to have two Grand Prix horses in my care and 15 horses outside. And LOTS to do around the farm.
I brought Cash (Air of Gold) in from the field today so he can be In Style's turn out buddie. He was owned by Margie Engle at one point and he too was a Grand Prix horse until he got injured. He's been off for the past year and a half to heal so we are bringing him in to be worked again. If he's good I get to ride him :) The rider who is coming will be the first to get on him though.
I'll write more tomorrow.... it will be my first real day in charge with no one else here. Sandra pulls out of here with the second load of horses first thing and I believe Ian is pulling out right behind them as he didn't leave tonight like I thought he was.
Wish me luck! Now I'm going to bed seeing as I need to get up at 4:45 am....OMG Gross! One more day of insanity.....one more day....then I get to sleep......mmmm sleep. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shawna!

    Congratulations on your success so far! I love reading your story, you are an inspiration to many people, myself included!

    You are doing great!

    Cheers!

    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Shawna,

    You may call me crazy, but even after reading most of your posts and your new outlook on hiring/firing, I am eager to meet you next Saturday (23rd) :) I talked with Amy before they left and I'll be coming out for a trial for the two weeks before Spruce...if I prove myself through that time-span then I'll be continuing on as a show groom. Even with all of the extremely long days and struggles I've heard of, I can't wait to join the team! Looking forward to meeting you and learning with and from you on the farm!

    Cheers,
    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madison,

    Good to hear from you! Amy has mentioned to me you'd be coming and I too will be looking forward to it. I'm glad you've read my blog as I feel it's an honest look into what really goes on and in order to have staff that wants to be here and gets the job done they need to know the "realness" of what really goes on in the day and the life of a show groom. I'll be seeing you soon :) You didn't want to come any sooner? Fell free to email me secretcreekstables@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete