Friday, May 1, 2009

Start of a new routine.

Things are slowy starting to settle back at Millarbrooke. My routine changed again....I'm getting very used to this haha.
Since I've been here I've been working in the student barn, except the odd day we'd switch it up and I'd be in the main barn. Now I am over in the clinic barn. It's really nice as it has all been reno'd. So I'm in charge of 4 horses in there as well as the outside horses.
My day goes like this....hay and grain the clinic barn, mix feed, load RTV and head out to the fields. Feed the 3 three year old mares, check electric fences, drive to next field and feed the 4 foals (weanlings and yearlings) and check fences, drive to the next field and feed the 3 old geldings, and lightening who's only 4 and check their fences. Each day I check their hay huts and get Willy to help me add more when needed. The fields get round bales so free choice hay.
If waters need filling then I take the other RTV out to fill them all. It's a great tool to have these RTV's !
Back to the barn to get stalls mucked out and horses groomed. I have two riders in there so I get their horses ready as they need them.
When I have time I head out to work with the foals. They haven't had much handling and the farrier comes Monday so I've been haltering them, brushing them, picking up their feet. They are getting better but its quite the task to work with one while 3 other curious ponies are taking the brushes out of my back pocket, tasting my hair or playing with each other and pushing them away. HAHA makes it more interesting I suppose. I really like the foals.
Amy and Jonathan have been working with the young ones that are under saddle. Then we are going to form a plan for who I'll be working and what my schedule will be when they leave for the horse show next week I believe. I can't WAIT to ride. I'm really excited about having my own string of horses to work each day. Anytime they work the young ones I`m suppose to watch if I have time so see what it is they are working on and to get to know them a little more. Mister is still my favorite :) Annie is a close second.
It certainly is more lively with all the students here everyday though. From 9 am until about 3 this place turns into a busy busy place. Almost resembles a horse show. Students come and ride their horses as well as watch other lessons and it's a whole group event. Alot of hard work and dedication goes in it each day.
Feed hay at 11:30 and sweep, clean tack, pick stalls, fill wateres, keep the rest of the barn clean. Horses get turned out and put on the walker.
Anytime I have a slow time I go help out the clinic barn but today I had enough things to keep me really busy.
In the afternoon all the horses get groomed and put away. Feed hay at 3:30 and sweep, head to the outsides fields and feed them, check fences. Wash buckets and mix feed for the next day. Feed grain to the barns and wash buckets.....I think that about sums it up. Today we did course build in the arena as it rained SO hard last night and the jumping field was really wet and there`s lessons going on tomorrow.
The schedule went up today and my next day off is wednesday. Maybe I`ll get to finally organise my apartment so I can feel settled haha. I was only here for a week after Florida, then I packed up and went home for the week now I need to unpack and feel like I live here.
Sleepy time again....goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment