Tuesday, April 14, 2009

40 miles to Canada....


Woke up this morning at 5 am. Finished packing and said goodbye to the Florida house. The barn looked so empty with everything loaded onto the truck. Fed the horses and put two loads on the walker to stretch their legs before the long haul home.
We had to go load up a clients horses at 7:30 and then come back to load ours. We were loaded and pulled out the driveway by 9 am. Goodbye dream barn….it’s been swell.
Sandra and I climbed aboard the big rig. It was her and I, the two drivers Lyle and Andrew with 10 horses in tow and we hit the high road.
What a bouncy ride these things are in the cab….apparently the horses travel better then we do. I`m getting used to that….the horses always get better then I do haha it`s something I will always live with.
It`s quite roomy in here with two beds and the two front seats. I laid in the top bunk and slept off and on for the first 5 hours. I think Jacksonville is the only place I really remember being awake for lol. We stopped once to use the “facilities” and then didn’t stop until 5 and a half hours in to feed and water the horses, re fuel the truck and feed ourselves an early dinner. The time is now 4 o clock and we just pulled back onto the road in Georgia. I bought a cute shirt that says “Silly boys trucks are for girls” haha its so me…and I have to say I LOVE the South!
We haven’t gotten that far away from paradise and yet the sky has clouded over and it looks like we are in for a wet night. Glad I’m not the one driving. I’m having fun in this big rig J
Read the first chapter of my books and broke open the goodies I brought to munch on. Think I`m going to hunker down for another nap….yep this is a hard way to travel haha. I`ll write again in another few hours I`m sure….TTFN
Didn’t turn on my computer again until 27 hours into the trip. I have done a lot of sleeping which is good and bad at the same time. Sandra and I are used to working hard everyday and all this lazing around in a big rig has us so stiff and sore. I’ll have to ask the guys what states we have all driven though now. Last night we took shifts for who got to sleep in the bed and who sat in the front seat while the drivers rotated as well. I listened to country and thought about home. I have an awful lot of time to think about a lot of things….
Fell asleep again around 4 am and didn’t wake up until 6:30 am Tuesday morning. We stopped to feed and water the horses and let ourselves visit the little girls room. We are defiantly in cooler weather now so we put the sheets on the horses. They are all clipped up for show and used to Florida weather like we are. We drove through some crazy thunderstorms and lightening last night. Scary stuff….glad I was just the passenger and not the driver. The first truck stop this morning had no water and had an issue with fuel so we went a mile and a half down the road to a quaint little place to refuel and water the horses. It had a really good restaurant with a down home feel. Everyone knew everyone and was so nice. I’ve said it before but I LOVE the south.
There were lots of miles in between there that I’m leaving out but it was the middle of the night so nothing too exciting happened.
We are currently sitting at the boarder waiting for the scary boarder men to come look in our trailer. We have 8 Canadian horses returning but also one of the clients horses that was bought down in the US so they are dealing with the broker ect. FUN FUN. We need to water these guys again and theres no water here so we are hoping they hurry it up.
I think we only have like another 2 or so hours to go until we are back in Perth. Home sweet Home. Will write again tonight…..

1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha Ha.....I'm glad your on the road and not me.....I don't miss those highway miles one little bit.....Boring......I found that I'd be so bored, I'm asleep before the wheels hit the first mile....Yup, sleep, sleep, sleep....I hate trucking....

    I must say that since your getting all that crappy weather, it's been great here at home....The sun was shining and it was so warm, I'm out there painting the ring fence in a Tshirt.....tan lines here they come....Ha Ha Ha....

    Can't wait to hear about your new work duties in Perth.....

    Hugs to you Shawna.....Welcome Back to Canada...

    ReplyDelete