Thursday, April 16, 2009

Change is good....right?

I made it safely back to the farm in Perth. Yesterday was the first day back. Work was....well...more character building haha. Lets just say there are alot of changes going on and some people are not happy about it....and I'm sort of in the middle of it all. I am not "causing" the issues however I suppose my talents are being seen and asked to stay/move up while others are not.... I also found out today one of the other grooms has decided to leave and go home. He will be missed as he does a fantastic job. He just misses home and wants to go back to school, so we understand. Anyone else want to come be a show groom?
All my life I have had the same little lesson to deal with....not to let what other people say bother me. I have a hard time with that because I care about people and I like to make everyone happy. I know (especially in this industry) that you can't please everyone, all the time, and there will be people who don't like you. I'm still getting used to that idea.
In moving up this professional ladder I am learning so much more about myself and what I need to become and get better at. Already since I've been here I've had to stand up and ask for the things I want. I need to have an opinion and a voice....and know how/when to use it. I need to have a backbone and stand up to the people who try to undermine me. I'm getting better at this but of course there is always room for improvement.
Today went better. But not by THAT much. I have to go and do nightcheck tonight at 8:30 pm.
Only 5 more days until I get to come home for a week....YAY I am so excited to see everyone! And the island.....the weather in perth has been good however its way more dry then humid Florida so my skin is screaming. I am ladeling the cream on and its just not working fast enough. My hands are already cracked and hurt. Must by more intense hand cream!

Oh I am getting distracted now trying to talk to my mom on Skype...TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. Your right Shawna, you can't please everyone all the time and there is always disappointment when you feel that your being passed over....

    People don't understand that their ability isn't as much as they think it is....Maybe that's another problem that we as administrators fail in not being able to express ourselves well enough to have those people understand that need to apply more work or that their ability isn't going to make that certain level....

    It makes it harder for everyone....You want to help but your unable....to give the guidance that is required.....

    Knowing you as I do, you are able to feel their pain but not able to give them the compassion that they need within....It's something that they have to learn in order to receive that gift.

    Although you feel bad, you need to keep striving forward and to always have that keen smile and williness to help....Because that is who you are.....Big hugs to you Shawna, you have had to learn so much in such a short time....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacque. Yes that is exactly what it feels like. I just keeping doing what my mom says....kill em with kindness. I smile and say good morning, be as helpful and cheery as I can. It's alot harder to be mad at a happy person LOL. Seems to be making the days a little easier...at least for me to deal with. Some comments are still hard to take but it won't be for much longer....CHARACTER BUILDING

    ReplyDelete