Monday, April 20, 2009

So excited for whats to come

I had a great day today. Still slow but very enjoyable. I was working in the main barn...which is where I was when I was here back in February working with the people from Florida who I am familiar with. The routine is the same it's just a nicer set up ect.
All the horses got fed, cleaned, put on the walker and outside. Being back in the cold weather isn't as much fun with all the blanket changes. The horses are wearing either their sheets, stables rugs or both while they are inside depending on temperature. Then to go outside you take one or both blankets off, put a cooler back on and then a turnout blanket over top. Tails get brushed, hooves get picked and they get fron boots, bell boots and back boots. Because of the wind today some of the horses were fresh and wanting to run around. As soon as that happens they have to come back inside. I was reflecting today about how funny it would be if people had the same fight or flight instinct horses do. I mean we do in some way, but when we are excited or scared I don't just run around and snort....I think that would be hilarious though...haha..can you immagine!
Amy came in to ride Picco and then we sat down for our meeting. It was so great to finally get the facts and not be up in the air as to what is happening.
I am going to be the new at home barn manager and trainer for the young horses :) I will also get to ride some of the schooled ones that don't go away to the shows to keep them fit. I'm really excited about that. Amy said in the next two weeks we will start riding the young ones and see where they are in the training and form a plan from there as to how many I'll be working ect. They are between 3 and 6 year olds....some have 30 days others have a little bit more time on them.
So....the current managers are leaving which means what I am about to take on is HUGE! I am it...I will be running Millarbrooke Farm (with the Millars help of course)
They are here to help me and there's still lots to learn but its going to be a process. I will have other staff at home to help me which made me feel better to know that. We are in a transition time with lots happening and I am very excited for whats to come. I feel this is just going to open so many doors for me and look so good to have on my resume. I also already have so many ideas for things to add on to around here to make what they already have even better.
I am leaving tomorrow to come home for a week and when I return I`ll be ready to take on my new task at hand.
I'm told I will be having lessons as well to make sure I`m on track with the young horses. I am responsible for feeding and taking care of the 10 outside horses as well as how ever many will be left on the farm when they go to shows. Over the winter there was 12 in the barn and the 10 outside.
They leave again in two weeks....so I have alot to learn and fast! They are going to Palgrave then come back home for a week and then are off to Spruce Meadows for 5 weeks. WOW talk about things happening fast.
I`m forgetting a million little details but I should really make some dinner, do laundry and pack....I have to be up around 4 am and leave here at 4:40 in order to get to the airport which is in hour away before my flight.....ick...early morning! So I am going to bed soon hahaha.
I will still have access to the internet at home so feel free to comment or email me secretcreekstables@gmail.com
Take care and chat soon!!!!
I'll be back on the Island in a matter of hours now :D !!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. WOW, way to go Shawna, training the youngsters and managing the Millar Brooke Farm -- Impressive!

    Talk about a wonderful opportunity which you've earned and will do a fabulous job at!

    Congrats, you should be very proud of yourself.......all of us back home are thrilled and rooting you on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you can sleep tonite! How nice that you still have your little piece of heaven to come home to! Have fun, relax...enjoy and give yourself a great big pat on the back....you so deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I must say your dreams are coming true....Do you think that my little Canadian can fit in your suitcase when you return to Ont.?.....Ha Ha Ha....Do you think that the others will think she's a warmblood tooooooo?....LOL...

    Your Mom must be very PROUD of your accomplishment, as are the rest of us.....Big Hugs....You've earned them.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lucky bug! Congrats on everything, couldn't happen to a nicer person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Shawna!! That's awesome - congrats on the new job. As everyone has said, we're very proud of you, but it's no surprise that the Millars recognize your talent and abilities and your amazing work ethic too. Can't wait to hear about your adventures once you get back and hope you're enjoying your trip home!!!

    ReplyDelete