Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 12

Day 12...Today was Mandy's day off so it was just Chrisitian and I in the barn as well as Diana who works here on weekends. We had everything cleaned and horses turned out really early since there was 3 of us.
After coffee break I got Boots ready and Chrisitian lunged her. When he brought her back into her stall her called for me and told me to climb on. Now I don't think Boots had ever had a rider on her before and these stalls have LOW ceilings, and I was in huge muck boots for cleaning the barn. He told me to quietly climb up on her, grab some mane and lean down so if she were to rear I wouldn't hit my head. Putting my trust in Christian I wasn't about to say no as thats not the way you get given opportunities....so even though I was out of my comfort zone everything was fine and she stood well and didn't mind. After her I got Annie ready and Christian told me to put on my boots and grab my helmet. Not sure what he was up to I grabbed my things and met him in the arena. He again told me to get on. I took a deep breath as I knew for sure this was only the second time someone had ridden her. I watched Mandy ride her in the roundpen (which is huge and oval in the middle of the arena) a few days before. They tie a neat strap around the horses neck so you always hold onto that on young horses to be sure you don't catch them in the mouth if they buck or jump. He lunged me around on her a few times and told me to stay light on her back. Pushed me into the walk, trot and canter. She felt incredible to ride. She is the best one here of the young ones and has a bright future ahead of her! Kind of cool to think I was training one who might be in the grand prix ring in the next few years. Then after maybe 5 minutes he came up to me, unclipped the line and said off you go. I was like good god European people sure are just fly at er kind of people but again off I went. He told me to start riding her more, use my legs, feel my hands but don't pull everything is about forward. As she started to get a little tired her pace got slower and Christian gave me a whip. Told me you should never get on a horse without a whip because the one day you need it it wont be there. He told me to ask her to go forward, use my legs and then WHIP a good one if she doesn't listen. And they mean GO. When you apply any kind of leg pressure they want them shooting out from underneath you. I wasn't being assertive enough (some of these horses are worth $500 000 and more its a little nerve wracking whipping on them) So Christian got on and showed me what I need to do. It's all about timing and he wasn't hurting them by any means. Yes it's a little more abrupt than I usually am but I see where he's coming from. From day one these horses are athletes and they need to be obediant to forward...nothing else matters until later. So he put me through my paces...walk, trot, canter and sent me all the way around the arena. Keeping in mind this is the horses second ride it felt like I was riding a horse with such power and grace under me that was so steady she lead changes if she started on the wrong one. I'm just in awe of that horse. I cooled her out and put her away and he told me to grab Mister (who is the cute chesnut one in the pics and he's one of my favs) This time he told me to get him ready and see him in the ring. I went out there with Mister in hand so Christian goes....ok lunge....so I lunged him. Again not knowing what was next I was told to get on again. I wasn't allowed to use a mounting block (which I have been doing for as long as I can remember except when I'm training or when I have to) but these horses are over 17 hands most of them. Then he gave me a hard time for not being graceful about it LOL Oh Whatever! He lunged me around on him the same as Annie. Mister had even more forward and alot more zoom to him. He was steady but when you used leg he was GONE. Very briefly he sent me into my walk, trot, canter. Came and un clipped me and told me to ride my horse. The look on my face said it all and Christian just said GO.....so I went! Started in a circle, up to the walk, then the trot. All of these horses are so muscled up and bridle from the slighest contact as they've been on the lunge now for 2 weeks. This was Misters second ride as well....I saw Christian ride him a few days ago and he was good but he had a stop in him when he was afraid of something. His canter is FAST....like eyes watering fast. Keep in mind I'm sick as a dog so I'm panting away up there and I can feel my face burning lol....but i wasn't about to complain I was so enjyoing the ability to ride these horses. (There's even a chance I could buy Mister...how cool would that be, I own one of Ian Millars horses) He opened up the roundpen gates so I could ride the whole length of the ring. He covered so much ground and moved with such intensity it was crazy. He has alot more suspension then Annie and wasn't nearly as balanced. I felt like we were flat out galloping...which some of the long sides we were lol but it was fun. Did a bunch of tansitions, got him past one spot he kept stopping ( again Christian gave me the lesson of the whip....yes I know how to use it I'm just getting the hang of the fact I'm allowed to use it! Make Sence? We had another awesome ride so I cooled him out and put him away. LUNCH.....yay lunch because I could barely breathe by this point I was coughing so bad....stupid cold I dont have time to be sick! After lunch I got May ready and Christian lunged her....brought her into the stall and told me to climb on....oh man I knew no one had ever been on her back and she's a nervous horse but he said she felt good while lunging and its time to get on. With a lesson in gracefullness again up I went. Layed across her back, patted her, good girl and jumped down....whew I survived and didn't eat ceiling thank god! Up again he says....so I climb on and lay across her, I get told to hang on (oh man) and he leads her in circles around her stall. Does anyone realize how uncomfortable it is to lay on your stomach across and english saddle inside a stall where the roof is maybe 2-3 feet above you.....ouch. But again she realaxed and took it all in stride. Today was fun....I didn't have time to think about nerves and I wasnt about to say no to anything I'm asked to do....thats not me as long as I feel comfortable I'll try anything and I trust Christian. Got a few more horses ready to be lunged and put others away. Picked out stalls and finished the last daily duties that needed to be done. Whew I'm tired now and I was so excited to hit the buckleys bottle....tastes awful but it works! Mandy has invited me for dinner so I better go get ready. They are coming back for me in an hour. One work day left tomorrow :( I'm sad to go. Christian talked to Yohan who is a friend of his today who is over showing in the same barn as Beth in Florida. Yohan told him more about the duties about the job I'm going over to apply for and Christian told him about me. Yesterday he told me if I take the job he's going to tell everyone I'm a terrible worker cause they want me back haha but today he tells me he's going to kick my ass if I dont take it LOL. Said its one of the best opportunities with great pay and Id learn loads more and be given more chances to move up then I ever will here. So talk about being confused about my decision now.....Florida is going to be VERY interesting....TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. wow, sounds like quite the day Shawna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it sounds like you have some hard decisions coming up - but how great are they??!!! What an exciting time in your life that you have all these cool things happening for you Shawna!! No one deserves it more than you do and I can't wait to hear what each day brings for you. Thanks so much for the blog, it's just thrilling to be a part of your journey!!

    ReplyDelete