Monday, February 23, 2009

A day in the life....

Well I know you all are wondering what I do all day and what the horses are like so since I have a little more engery today to sit and type I will haha.
Mondays are a sort of day off.....ISH for the horses. We got up at 6 and headed to work for 7, there was only 3 of us today as the other 3 got the day off. Fed hay and grain, cleaned stalls, put 3 horses on the hot walker. Every horse gets their temperature taken in the AM and PM.
It's a 6 horse walker but they only ever put 3 on it because awhile ago they had a mishap where one went underneath the divider and in with another horse so now they leave a space in between them all. Everytime a horse leaves the stables it gets front boots, bell boots and back boots, feet picked and tails brushed to get the sawdust out. They get picked before them come off the walker as well. On their day off they don't get brushed other then that, every other day they get groomed excessivly and they are clipped all over very regularly....and we are in florida it's hot and they dont have much hair to start with. We put 8 rotations I think it was of 3 horses on the walker by lunch time. Each horse gets put on the walker and turned out on grass. There's a few that only get hand walked and led out to have grass.
We took every feed and water bucket out and scrubbed them with listerine and rinsed well and then put them back in their stalls. I thought my back was going to break by this point. My bed is terrible and I'm not sleeping well and the work is definatly not easy. I thought I used to work hard....I was mistaken. These guys don't stop....at all....from 6 am until 6 pm...and then we always have house stuff to do. Eat, laundry, get groceries ect. My feet are killing me. I cant wait until my body is used to working like this in this heat. I really need to buy a water bottle so I can keep hydrated as that's half my problem. I couldn't find one at the store yesterday.
Back to barn stuff.....ummm what else did we do today. It doesn't sound like much but once you do this routine with as many horses are there are there it takes the whole day.
I will write again tomorrow with a "usual" day when the riders are back.
Other little details....two horses get apple juice in their water cause they are finicky drinkers. They get a million different suppliments and vitamins in their feed twice a day, bran mash on Sunday nights. Some horses get the electro blanket put on once or twice a day with the magnets in different areas. There is also another machine that is like an ice boot. They stand cross tied with this thing on their legs and it circulates ice water. There's a horse massage thingy. Every state of the art machine for horses......it's here. A few horses go on the horsey treadmill. They get ridden 5 or 6 days a week. Lots get wrapped....different legs different days. There is no detail too small here. It's neat to see really but it's down right exhausting with no food and no sleep. I feel the people should be treated as good if the horses are haha. The riders work down right hard as well too don't get me wrong. Ian, Amy and Jonathan are out there all day riding and teaching in this heat. I immagine it takes their toll on them too just in a different way. As my mom always says.....If it was easy, everyone would do it....right?
Thats all for now....talk soon. Sleepy time for me. YAWN.

1 comment:

  1. Well keeping busy, keeps us out of mischief....LOL....So, what do you think so far?

    I also wanted to let you know that we under another Snowfall Warning.....So, hurry up with the package will yah....Ha Ha Haaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete