Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day 8

Day 8...today was a beautiful sunny day but was still about -20 brrrrr thought I was going to lose my ears! It was a fairly slow day as Mandy found out some sad news and I came down with a bad cold. I was cursing everyone on the airplane who was around me hacking up their lungs and I kept saying to myself I will not get sick I will not get sick I will not get sick....however I have next to no immune system it seems as no matter what I do I still catch the colds....But other then that the day carried on as usual. I had a great talk with Mandy and Christian at coffee break. We talked more on what I'd be doing if I worked here and what to expect from the riders. How good you are depends who you work for....they said I'd be with Ian, Amy or Jonathan for sure....they also have grooms for the clients of the Millars who board here.
Mandy called me an angel today :) They really want me to come back here. Even Christian was dropping hints about standing up for yourself and asking for the wage you deserve otherwise why would they pay you anymore then they have to. Christian said he'd much prefer 2 higher paid grooms then 4 useless ones. Apparently alot of grooms come and go through these doors as all too often people present themselves better then they actually are....so they get here and are then useless and believe me, if you came like that you wouldn't last long. It hasn't been a walk in the park exactly but I've been in this world before and seen what is expected. I work my butt off each day and do so with a smile on my face but thats always the way I've been. I can't immagine being any other way but I suppose that is what makes me....me. I do hope my body can withstand all this...there are things here that just baffle me as we are making them harder on ourselves to have them done this way but it's the way Ian wants it.
We talked about horse training methods and how these horses get to the levels they do like Promise Me, Redefin and In Style....it's really neat to see where they started. If I come back here and work at the barn for awhile that excites me too as there about about 8 3 and 4 year olds that are just started or we are starting next week. Even better then grooming for Ian Millar would be training horses for Ian Millar...don't you think? Although travelling and seeing the shows sounds pretty exciting too. Oh decisions decisons.....that is all that has been on my mind is what to do? Where to go? Who to work for?
Well I'm hungry and I do believe it's dinner time......YAY for sunshine in 6 days whooo hooo !

2 comments:

  1. If they are happy with you Shawna, the opportunities will be there for you.....Hard work pays off and in your case with Christian and Mandy, they can see what you've got....You don't need to sell yourself, they can see your talent...

    Drink lots of orange juice, vitamin C is what you need......and go night, night....you'll need your rest, in order to hold your day....keep smiling....

    Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl start taking Cold FX! Keep up on your vitamins, take a greens supplement and your body will be ok.

    Barns often have revolving doors for grooms, a lot of girls have a "dream" of being a groom but don't realize how much work it is. Running your own farm you had a good idea what you were in for, sounds like you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete