Sunday, February 1, 2009

Day 6

Day 6.…I am really enjoying this routine I have going…go to work come home, grab something to eat and relax and write my blog before taking my computer back over to the barn to go online. I offered to do night check again tonight at 8:30 since I’m always in the barn anyway so I can be on my computer. There’s no tv or phone or anything in my apartment so its too quiet to just sit over there. I think I’m quickly becoming their favourite as I’m the first one to work in the morning so I feed the horses and I don’t mind doing the night check either, so it works out good all around and that way Mandy and Christian get a break.
Today was a little bit different of a routine. A horse who has been in training for a year left today….he was one of my favourites named Guy (sounds like G-eee) so I had to get him bathed, clipped and presentable. It wasn’t hard to do he’s a stunning horse.
After Guy left we free jumped the young ones. I cant believe the quality in these horses breeding….the athletic ability is just bred right into them….no need for much training. I got to be the camera woman and for the horses that jumped well Christian is going to send the videos down to Florida to advertise them for sale. Most of them jumped around 6 ft…..the poles were at the top of the standards. They jumped them right out of the field last November…..not very high of course. They’ve been working them since then, lounging and starting them under saddle so being more fit they could get a better feel for their ability and by how much they learned since last time. It was so interesting to see how they work them up and the horses were just incredible.
I got to ride Hereo again today. Because he hasn’t been doing much it’s my job to get him back in shape so as long as I have time I get to ride him everyday :) !! Even though he’s the small 16 hh horse in the barn he’s still big to me and I have to work to ride him as he has so much more training and power to his stride then my horses do. Completely different calibre of horse that’s for sure.
The afternoon was easy since the morning was so busy we had a late lunch…..they day flew by. I only have 7 more days left here until I leave for Florida. I can’t believe how fast the time is flying by. I’m really excited about getting to Florida and meeting with Ian, Amy, and Jonathan. Then I get to be nervous all over again to go through my interview with Beth Underhill and her barn manager. How am I going to decide between these two top notch riders? I actually didn’t think I was going to like working at Millar Brooke as much as I do. I thought I would be more in the background and not really appreciated, I was also told they are hard to work for but they have all been fabulous to me. I’m always bubbly and happy though…..kind of hard to get mad at a happy person hahaha that’s the way I see it anyway.
I’m thankful to be able to ride and Mandy said we’ll be starting the other ones under saddle next week and once they are broke I can ride them too. The more I get to talk to her about what I want and what this job could become the more opportunities I get to move up….and I’ve only been here 5 days and already they trust me enough to be in charge of the barn…that makes me feel good. It has certainly helped my work ethic owning my own barn because I know what long days are and I know that with horses time doesn’t always go according to plan. Speaking of which…I don’t know if it’s because I’m only here for 12 days so they are getting me to work straight through or what because there has been no talk of a day off….so I just keep on truckin until they tell me not to.
The sun is still shining…..today is another great day :)

2 comments:

  1. What can we say Shawna, decisions hmmmmmm...To have an opportunity like this between 2 major barns.....shows that all the hard work you have put in over the last few years to reach this level, has more than paid for itself....You have learned a ton of info from Will Clinging and Jonathan Fields on learning to communicate your skills with your horse and it has increased your senses in reading a situation. It has allowed you to not only focus on the horses needs but yours as well, to make you better at what you do.....When you put all the information into your mind and soul that you have been taught in your earlier years to now........it's amazing as to how you can filter it altogether into the polished package that you are able to co-ordinate into what you do today. So continue to be that sponge and soak up all the info you can, it will make your ride stronger and better and defintely more fulfilling.....No matter what your decision is at the end of this, you will have more than added to the skills that you already maintain.....7 days to go and you get to meet the big guns in Florida.....in that warmer climate that we all so want here, so you get to share, so send us some in a bottle....we could use the sunshine.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jacque you say the greatest things. Thank you for that. I have worked hard over the years and I will of course continue to do so. As we speak there are big plans on the horizon for me just you wait!
    I'm so thankful to Will and all the other trainers and coaches I've worked with over the years who have helped shape me into who I am today. I feel very privilaged to be able to go off and experience these adventures and to keep learning all I can so in turn can help teach those who need me to. I also want to show all my students and people alike that the Island isnt it...even though its home you can go out and experience things and then bring them back. Dreams really do come true if you reach hard enough. Don't ever think your not good enough or that your from a small place in the world because we all have a voice and its when we speak up that we truely get what we want.
    Thank you again *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete